Thursday 24 April 2014

Ginger Crunchathon

It all started two weeks ago when my Facebook feed started filling with pictures of Chelsea Winter's Oaty Ginger Slice Recipe. So of course, I started craving it. Big time. 
We were on a road trip zigzag-ing from west to east coast beaches over the Easter Holiday's and the hunt began, each cafe/stop we made along the way, I was scouting for the ideal crunch to sample. Many discussions about the desired texture, not too dry, the right ratio of icing to base, varying textures between oaty crunchy bases and gooey  gingery caramely icing, plus I like things with bits, layers, dimensions, contrast. 
Unfortunately none, of the samples along the way sufficed. Too much icing, not enough texture, pasty boring bases.... So, there was only one resort left. Come to the conclusion, that if I am going to be that fussy, I might as well make my own. After trawling several online blogs, forums and recipes I amalgamated my own recipe using what I had in my pantry. Though I admit most of my inspiration came from this fabulous example of Oaty Ginger Crunch. I think the key word here is crunch. Love the texture. Because it's full of oats coconut and a dash of golden syrup, the base resembles an Anzac Biscuit. Yep, a biscuit favourite combined with my favourite slice. Pure Genius. 

So anyway, I got to baking and the result, well, try it for yourself. 

I've used weights as measurements which means that there's no need for using every single measuring cup you own, just pop the bowl on the scales and add each ingredient (though you will then need to add, which on the few hours sleep I've had can be difficult!) 

In the recipe I've put LSA, which is a mix of ground Linseed, Sunflower Seeds and Almonds, however I didn't have quite enough, so I added some whole linseed and sunflowers too, they added a great dimension, so if you have them on hand I recommend adding too. Otherwise just ground linseed, almond or sunflower seeds will add the desired texture and 'nutritional boost'. I use quotation marks because you're kidding yourself if you want to call this nutritious, but every little bit helps right? 

I've topped it with a mixture of chopped roasted almonds, crystallised ginger and Ceres Organics Sweet and Salty Coconut Smiles. The feedback I've had so far on this recipe is that it's pretty darn tasty, or f#^k!ng good, to be precise. Try it for yourself and let me know what you think. 



Ingredients 
Base
150g butter
30g golden syrup
1 Tbsp of ground ginger
125g white sugar
50g LSA mix, (Linseed Sunflower and Almond - however straight ground linseed, or almonds, or sunflower seeds will also work) 
110g rolled oats
70g desiccated coconut
140g self-raising flour


Topping
90g butter
90g golden syrup
3 Tbsp ground ginger
190g icing sugar


Optional toppings:
1/4 cup toasted chopped almonds
2 Tbsp crystallised ginger, finely chopped

Ceres Organics Coconut Smiles 

Method
Preheat oven to 180°C

Line a 20 x 30cm slice tin with greaseproof baking paper. 


In a gently heated suacepan melt butter. Once it begins to melt add golden syrup ginger and sugar.

Stir till it has all melted together. 

Remove from heat and add LSA, oats, coconut and flour, mix till well combined.


Spoon into tin, using the back of the spoon to press it down firmly. 


Bake for 15 mins until golden.

Put aside and leave in the tin to cool. 


The unbaked base - plenty of whole linseed also, great texture

Once cooled prepare the topping. 

Melt butter in saucepan on a gentle heat, again once it starts melting add the golden syrup, powdered ginger and icing sugar. 

Stir over the heat till smooth and topping thickens. 

Pour over the base, I lift and tilt the tin to help spread it around evenly. 

Now sprinkle with the chopped almonds ginger and coconut. Leave to set. 

Once set, you should be able to lift it out with the baking paper straight onto a chopping board. 
Slice into squares, 24 if you make them small or if you want bigger bits, 12 or 15 pieces. 






No comments:

Post a Comment